As you can probably tell by the title of this recipe, I'm a big fan of it. To me, this is the best ever oatmeal recipe. Flavored with cinnamon, brown sugar, and pure maple syrup, it's the just simply the coziest, comforting breakfast.
My boyfriend and I eat this just about every week, which is saying a lot. We love having it for breakfast on the weekends because it's so simple to make, but doesn't lack any flavor.
One of the many wonderful things about this best ever oatmeal recipe is that it can truly be topped with anything based on preference or season! My favorite toppings are blueberries, peanut butter, and pecans. Some other delicious pairings could be strawberries and bananas, granola and raspberries, or even chia and pomegranate seeds with a drizzle of honey. It really is what you make of it.
If you like your oatmeal on the really creamy side, I recommend using milk instead of water in this recipe. I use Bob's Red Mill Old Fashioned Rolled Oats as I've found them to have the best texture, but whatever you have on hand definitely works.
If you're looking for low-maintenance breakfasts, I also recommend checking out these bacon, egg & cheese cups.
Best Ever Oatmeal
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup old fashioned rolled oats - I really like Bob's Red Mill.
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar light works too, but I prefer dark
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
My favorite toppings:
- Roasted pecans
- Peanut butter
- In a small saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add in the oats and salt, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the maple, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Continue to simmer for an additional 3-5 minutes until desired consistency is achieved.
- Serve immediately, topped with your preferred toppings.