This creamy pumpkin pasta sauce with sage breadcrumbs is a perfect and easy fall dinner recipe. Smooth pumpkin cooked with plenty of garlic and shallots, swirled with heavy cream, and served with pasta, all topped with toasty sage breadcrumbs. A delicious texture and flavor match-up for fall.
- Pumpkin puree: This is a staple in my pantry in the fall. Just make sure to get pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie mix/puree.
- Vegetable broth: This ingredient helps to thin out the sauce.
- Shallot: I put shallot in so many dishes, I love it. It's more mild than an onion, but still delicious flavor.
- Garlic: Plenty of minced garlic!
- Heavy cream: This is of course the "creamy" part of the "Creamy Pumpkin Pasta Sauce"
- Panko breadcrumbs: These get all toasty with the sage and it's LOVELY.
- Fresh sage: This is a go-to fall herb - so yummy.
- Pasta: You can use any shape pasta you prefer! Would also be great with tortellini or ravioli.
HOW TO MAKE THIS PUMPKIN PASTA DISH:
To make this creamy pumpkin pasta sauce with sage breadcrumbs the first thing I like to do is make the sage breadcrumbs. So, heat up the non-stick pan on medium-high heat. Add 1 tbsp olive oil and the breadcrumbs & chopped sage. Toast for about 5-8 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
To make the pasta, start your pot of water on high heat to bring it to a boil. Add in the pasta you chose and cook according to directions until al-dente.
While that is heating up and cooking, sauté the garlic and shallot on medium heat for 3 minutes until fragrant and starting to soften. Add in the pumpkin puree and sauté for 2 minutes. Then add in the vegetable broth, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine for about 1 minute, then stir in the heavy cream. Bring to a simmer and allow to thicken slightly while the pasta finishes cooking.
Once the pasta is cooked, drain it and toss it with the sauce. Serve topped with the sage breadcrumbs!
KITCHEN ITEMS YOU'LL NEED:
- Medium-sized pot
- Sauce pot
- Non-stick pan
- Wood spoon
- Slotted spoon
- Pasta strainer
OTHER DELICIOUS PASTA RECIPES:
- Perfect creamy tomato sauce
- One pot gnocchi bake
- Spinach, pesto & cheese baked shells
- Super easy creamy corn & tomato pasta
- Spicy garlic butter shrimp
Creamy Pumpkin Pasta Sauce with Sage Breadcrumbs
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ¾ cup vegetable broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 3 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 shallot finely minced
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp fresh sage finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- Bring a non-stick pan to medium high heat. Warm up 1 tbsp olive oil. Add in the bread crumbs and chopped sage. Toast about 5-8 minutes until golden. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta according to directions until al-dente.
- Meanwhile, in a sauce pot, heat 1 tbsp olive oil on medium heat. Sauté the garlic and shallots for 3 minutes until fragrant and starting to soften. Add in the pumpkin puree and cook for 2 minutes.
- Then add in the spices and vegetable broth, cook for an additional 2 minutes, then finish with the heavy cream. Bring to a simmer and let thicken slightly while the pasta finishes cooking.
- Drain the pasta once it's done, then toss it with the sauce and serve topped with the sage breadcrumbs.