This week, I made my kale, brussels sprouts and quinoa salad. For a girl who doesn't typically crave salads, this one is a game changer. The flavors are so bright and happy. The snap of the brussels sprouts and red onion combined with the more mild quinoa and cucumbers, yum. What's my favorite part you ask? For sure the lemon dijon vinaigrette. Wait until you taste this, you'll understand.
The key to this salad is allowing it to sit with the dressing for a few hours before eating. This enables the flavors of the vinaigrette to really infuse into the ingredients and flavor them well.
You can also absolutely add a protein on top of this salad -- some grilled shrimp or chicken would work great.
Kale, Brussels Sprouts, and Quinoa Salad with Lemon Dijon Vinaigrette
For the salad:
- 1 red onion
- 2 cups quinoa
- 1 english cucumber
- 10 oz kale
- 1 bag brussels sprouts
- 1 cube feta
For the vinaigrette:
- 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt + pepper
- Cook the quinoa according to package directions.
- Tear kale into pieces, clean up (cut off stem) and finely chop brussels sprouts, chop cucumber into cubes, red onion into slivers, and cube feta.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients in the above two steps.
- For the dressing, in a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, dijon mustard, minced garlic, olive oil, and salt + pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the salad, cover, and let sit in the fridge for a few hours prior to serving to let the flavors come together.