We all need a go-to pasta sauce in our arsenal, and this one is it for me. This perfect creamy tomato sauce is just that - perfect. It's an incredibly easy sauce to make with plenty of shallots and garlic, a little spice from red pepper flakes, tomato paste for that easy delicious concentrated flavor, and of course heavy cream. A weekly staple sauce that comes together in no more than 15 minutes.
- 1 lb dry pasta of your choice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Ricotta or parmesan cheese to serve
- In your stock/pasta pot, bring heavily salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to directions.
- To your sauté pot over medium heat, add 1 tbsp unsalted butter and 1 tbsp olive oil. Sauté for 3 minutes until the shallots are starting to get translucent and all is very fragrant.
- To the garlic and shallots, add the red pepper flakes, tomato paste, salt, and pepper. Mix those together and cook for 2-3 minutes to caramelize the tomato paste.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in the heavy cream until smooth. Let it come up to a slight simmer, then add the pasta right in (it's ok if some pasta water gets in there).
- You can serve as is or with dollops or ricotta cheese or a sprinkling of parmesan cheese.