Miniature flaky, buttery cardamom spiced biscuits layered on top of bubbling strawberries mixed with seedless raspberry jam. A perfect combination!
For the biscuits:
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg + a dash of water for egg wash
- 2-3 tbsp turbinado sugar
For the filling:
- 4 1/2 cups fresh strawberries (about 2 lbs), quartered
- 1/3 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Vanilla ice cream
- Preheat your oven to 375℉.
- To make the biscuits, in a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and cardamom. Add in the butter and work with your hands or a pastry cutter until it's pea-sized. Pour in the buttermilk and mix until just combined.
- Dump out onto a floured surface and work gently with your hands (not too much!) to a rectangle. Fold the two sides inward on top of each other, then roll out to 1 inch thick. Cut into square pieces 1 1/2 inches big. Put into the fridge until ready to bake.
- For the filling, in your 10" cast iron or baking dish, combine the quartered strawberries, raspberry jam, lemon zest, granulated sugar, corn starch, and salt. Mix to combine.
- Take the biscuits out of the fridge and snuggle them on top of the strawberry mixture. They should all be touching!
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and a dash of water. Brush on top of the biscuits and top them with a few tbsp of turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes until the berries are bubbling and the biscuits nice and golden brown.
- Enjoy warm with vanilla ice cream!