Despite it now being spring, I've been really into soup lately, and this spicy white bean zuppa Toscana is top of the list.
It's loaded with potatoes, cannellini beans, and kale, with a base of chicken broth and cream. While it's creamy, it also has this lovely light element, which I think enables it to easily be eaten year-round. ALSO, who doesn't love a little kick in their soups? This one has the perfect amount.
I kid you not, I brought this to work for lunch for a week straight in a mason jar and that was my little moment of happiness for the day. We all need a moment like that at least once a day, and if this soup can provide it for you, well, then I have succeeded.
Spicy White Bean Zuppa Toscana
- 1 large yellow onion
- 4 russet potatoes diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 can cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon corn starch
- Salt & pepper
- Clean, peel and dice the potatoes, chop the onion and mince the garlic
- In a large pot on medium heat, sauté the onion and garlic in the oil for about 8 minutes - until translucent
- Add in the broth, potato and a hefty pinch of salt and pepper - cook for about 15 - 20 minutes, until the potatoes are tender
- Roughly chop the kale, and add into the pot along with the drained and rinsed beans - cook for another 10 minutes
- Mix in the corn starch & finish with heavy cream - allowing it to all combine for a few minutes before serving
Leave a Reply