This Caramelized Onion & Apple Grilled Cheese Sandwich is a delicious fall take on a classic grilled cheese recipe. With the addition of sweet caramelized onions, crisp apples, and sage butter, it is so good and sure to be a favorite easy fall recipe.
- Sourdough bread: I love the taste of sourdough bread and it's firmness is perfect for this grilled cheese.
- Fresh sage: This gets chopped up and mixed with the butter then spread on the outside of the grilled cheese so it gets all toasty and smells amazing.
- Unsalted butter: You could use salted butter, but I prefer to control the levels of salt.
- Honeycrisp apple: This apple is the perfect amount of sweetness and is so nice and crisp. Others you could use: Gala or Fuji.
- Yellow onions: You'll want two LARGE yellow onions for this recipe. They'll reduce in size drastically during the caramelization process.
- Cheddar cheese: Can't go wrong with cheddar cheese. Make sure that you get it by the block and shred it yourself for ultimate melty-ness. Pre-shredded has stabilizers that often prevent it from melting easily.
- Brie cheese: The creamiest of the creamiest. Melts so beautifully.
KITCHEN TOOLS YOU'LL NEED:
HOW TO MAKE THIS GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH:
There are only a few steps to making this delicious Caramelized Onion & Apple Grilled Cheese Sandwich. Let's begin!
Start with caramelizing the onions, as this will take the longest. So you'll want to cut the onions into ½ inch half moons. Heat a skillet on medium heat, melt 2tbsp butter + 1 tbsp olive oil. Add in the onions and stir to coat. Cook them stirring every few minutes. At the 10 minute mark, add 1 tsp kosher salt. Continue stirring for an additional 30-40 minutes until golden brown. Add 1 tbsp water if it looks dry as you cook. Set aside.
While the onions are cooking, prep the other ingredients.
- Sage butter: Combine 1 tbsp chopped fresh sage with 4 tbsp butter and a three-finger pinch of kosher salt.
- Cheddar cheese: Using the coarse grater, grate the cheddar cheese.
- Brie cheese: Cut off the rind of the cheese and slice into ½ inch thick slices.
- Apples: Cut around the core in four slices, then thinly slice (about ¼ inch thick if you can).
Steps to assemble:
- Lay down a non-buttered piece of bread.
- Place a flat layer of brie cheese on top, followed by ¼ of the cheddar cheese.
- Then add the apple slices, slightly overlapping.
- Followed by ¼ cup of caramelized onions.
- Add ¼ cup cheddar cheese on top.
- To finish, add the top slice of bread and spread with 1 tbsp of the sage butter.
- Repeat for a second sandwich.
In your skillet, heat 1 tbsp olive oil on medium heat. Once sizzling carefully place the grilled cheeses in buttered side down. Spread the sides facing upward evenly with the remaining sage butter. Cook for about 6 minutes per side, until golden. Serve warm & enjoy!!
Other fall lunch & dinner recipes:
- Creamy Pumpkin Pasta Sauce with Sage Breadcrumbs
- Butternut Squash & Spinach Lasagna
- Zucchini Corn Fritters with Homemade Chipotle Mayo