These Mexican street corn & black bean tacos are my take on the delicious dish we all know and love, in taco form. Stuffed to the brim with plenty of corn, black beans, avocado, and topped with jalapeño and shallot for a little kick. These are a great vegetarian taco alternative that definitely won't have you missing meat.
- Tortillas: I like to use the street taco size tortillas (which is what the servings are based off of in this recipe) but larger works fine too.
- Corn: Fresh is best, I personally bought cobs of corn. But you could totally use canned (just make sure to rinse and dry) or even frozen (just make sure to fully defrost).
- Mayonnaise: I like the smoothness of mayo in this recipe, but you could totally sub for sour cream if you don't have mayo on hand (or even 50/50).
- Cotija cheese: A classic cheese typically used in street corn, this is a must!
- Fresh cilantro: Fresh is best!
- Tajín or chili powder: Tajín is a mix of ground chili peppers, salt, and dehydrated lime. I think it's absolutely delicious but if you don't have it or can't find it, you could use chili powder.
- Lime juice: Perfectly brightens and balances the dish.
- Black beans: Corn and beans, oh what a classic combo. Make sure you drain and rinse if you're using from the can.
- Avocado: Avocados on tacos = happiness.
- Jalapeño shallot topping: So this is completely optional, but if you can tolerate a little bit of spice (not even a whole lot!) I'd definitely recommend it.
HOW TO MAKE THESE MEXICAN STREET CORN & BLACK BEAN TACOS:
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with how easy these are to make.
You'll want to start by getting some quick char on the corn. Heat a skillet on high heat, add a little vegetable oil and butter, and cook for about 5 minutes until it starts to get a little browned.
Add the cooked corn and the rest of the Mexican street corn ingredients to a bowl (mayo, cheese, cilantro, Tajín, lime, salt). Set aside while you drain and rinse the black beans, and finely chop the jalapeño and shallot.
Optional but recommended: heat up your tortillas before you fill them up!
Just like that, ready to assemble! Grab a tortilla, layer the black beans followed by a hefty spoonful of the corn, and top with avocado and the jalapeño shallot mixture. Serve with a lime wedge!