This lemon blueberry loaf cake with greek yogurt is the epitome of a delicious, easy one bowl loaf cake - perfectly tender, bright lemon flavor, bursting sweet blueberries, and a powdered sugar-dusted top. Whether you call it a loaf cake or a pound cake, it's delicious all the same, and ideal to snack on any time of the day.
A FEW INGREDIENT NOTES FOR A PERFECT LOAF CAKE:
- Lemon zest & lemon juice: Combination of lemon zest and lemon juice really helps make sure the lemon flavor pops. Use the fresh stuff!! Not bottled lemon juice or lemon extract.
- Honey: With the zing from the lemon and Greek yogurt, honey helps balance this out.
- Vanilla extract: A baking staple.
- Neutral oil: Canola or vegetable works!
- Whole milk Greek yogurt: A real texture work-horse. Makes for the most moist cakes.
- Blueberries: Fresh works best for this recipe.
KITCHEN EQUIPMENT YOU'LL NEED:
- Cutting board
- Chef's knife
- Large bowl + small bowl
- Rubber spatula
- Standard loaf pan (9x13)
- Parchment paper
- Cooling rack
HOW TO MAKE LEMON BLUEBERRY LOAF CAKE:
- Step 1: Lemon & sugar. In a large bowl, combine the granulated sugar and lemon zest. Using your fingers, gently work them together until fragrant.
- Step 2: Whisk in the eggs. To the bowl with the sugar, add in the three eggs and whisk until smooth and slightly paler in color – about 1 minute.
- Step 3: Add the remaining wet ingredients. Whisk in the honey, vanilla extract, neutral oil, lemon juice, and Greek yogurt.
- Step 4: Add the dry ingredients. To the wet ingredients using the rubber spatula, mix in the all purpose flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Step 5: Flour the blueberries. In a separate small bowl, gently mix together the separated 1 tbsp flour and blueberries (this helps to prevent them sinking to the bottom during baking). Gently fold these into the batter.
- Step 6: Prep for baking. Pour the batter into the lined and greased loaf pan sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Step 7: Bake. Bake for 55-60 minutes at 350℉. Allow it to cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack or plate to finish cooling. Dust with powdered sugar when fully cooled.
HOW TO STORE LOAF CAKE:
Loaf cake is best stored at room temperature in an air tight container for up to 4 days. You can enjoy slices at room temp or place them in a toaster oven to warm it up a bit.
OTHER BLUEBERRY TREATS:
- Apple Blueberry Pecan Crumble
- Blueberry Challah French Toast Cups
- Homemade Blueberry Pop-Tarts with Lemon Glaze
Lemon Blueberry Yogurt Loaf
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp lemon zest about 1 lemon
- 3 large eggs room temp
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup canola oil or vegetable
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice about ½ a lemon
- 1 cup plain whole milk Greek yogurt
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour + 1 tbsp separated to coat the berries
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 3 tbsp turbinado sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350℉. Grease and line a standard 9x13 loaf pan with parchment paper, 2 inches hanging off both ends.
- In a large bowl, combine the granulated sugar and lemon zest. Using your fingers, gently work together until fragrant.
- To the lemon sugar, add in the eggs and whisk until smooth and slightly paler in color – about 1 minute.
- Whisk in the honey, vanilla extract, oil, lemon juice, and Greek yogurt.
- Switching to a rubber spatula, gently mix in the 1 ½ cups all purpose flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the 1 tbsp flour and blueberries. Gently fold these into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepped loaf pan and sprinkle evenly with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes until a knife comes out clean when inserted into the center.
- Cool for 15 minutes in the loaf pan, then turn onto a plate or cooling rack. Once just about all the way cooled, top with powdered sugar.