This lemon blueberry loaf cake with greek yogurt is the epitome of a delicious, easy one bowl loaf cake - perfectly tender, bright lemon flavor, bursting sweet blueberries, and a powdered sugar-dusted top. Whether you call it a loaf cake or a pound cake, it's delicious all the same, and ideal to snack on any time of the day.
A FEW INGREDIENT NOTES FOR A PERFECT LOAF CAKE:
- Lemon zest & lemon juice: Combination of lemon zest and lemon juice really helps make sure the lemon flavor pops. Use the fresh stuff!! Not bottled lemon juice or lemon extract.
- Honey: With the zing from the lemon and Greek yogurt, honey helps balance this out.
- Vanilla extract: A baking staple.
- Neutral oil: Canola or vegetable works!
- Whole milk Greek yogurt: A real texture work-horse. Makes for the most moist cakes.
- Blueberries: Fresh works best for this recipe.
KITCHEN EQUIPMENT YOU'LL NEED:
- Cutting board
- Chef's knife
- Large bowl + small bowl
- Rubber spatula
- Standard loaf pan (9x13)
- Parchment paper
- Cooling rack
HOW TO MAKE LEMON BLUEBERRY LOAF CAKE:
- Step 1: Lemon & sugar. In a large bowl, combine the granulated sugar and lemon zest. Using your fingers, gently work them together until fragrant.
- Step 2: Whisk in the eggs. To the bowl with the sugar, add in the three eggs and whisk until smooth and slightly paler in color – about 1 minute.
- Step 3: Add the remaining wet ingredients. Whisk in the honey, vanilla extract, neutral oil, lemon juice, and Greek yogurt.
- Step 4: Add the dry ingredients. To the wet ingredients using the rubber spatula, mix in the all purpose flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Step 5: Flour the blueberries. In a separate small bowl, gently mix together the separated 1 tbsp flour and blueberries (this helps to prevent them sinking to the bottom during baking). Gently fold these into the batter.
- Step 6: Prep for baking. Pour the batter into the lined and greased loaf pan sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Step 7: Bake. Bake for 55-60 minutes at 350℉. Allow it to cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack or plate to finish cooling. Dust with powdered sugar when fully cooled.
HOW TO STORE LOAF CAKE:
Loaf cake is best stored at room temperature in an air tight container for up to 4 days. You can enjoy slices at room temp or place them in a toaster oven to warm it up a bit.
OTHER BLUEBERRY TREATS:
- Apple Blueberry Pecan Crumble
- Blueberry Challah French Toast Cups
- Homemade Blueberry Pop-Tarts with Lemon Glaze