These cinnamon streusel muffins are so perfectly tender with just the right amount of cinnamon and a crumbly buttery topping. Delicious with a sprinkle of powdered sugar on top or with a pat of salted butter. Just like a crumb / coffee cake but in mini form!
KEY INGREDIENTS AND SUBSTITUTIONS:
- All purpose flour: This is my go-to flour - trusty and yields a delicious result.
- Granulated sugar: Similar to the flour, my go-to type of sugar to bake with.
- Baking powder: Gives these a perfect rise. Make sure yours is not expired otherwise the muffins will sink!
- How to test baking powder to ensure it's not expired: Drop about ½ tsp into hot water. If it fizzles, it's good to use! If not, you should replace it.
- Ground cinnamon: Just the right amount is in this recipe to have a perfectly present cinnamon flavor.
- Eggs: Large sized eggs is a must - room temp!
- Butter: I try to always bake with unsalted butter, but if you only have salted that is fine just reduce the amount of added salt.
- Whole milk: Just the right amount of milk fat to help make the tender muffins. I haven't tried it, but you could likely use 2% or non-fat.
- Vanilla extract: Another staple in most baking.
- Light brown sugar: For the streusel topping - I love the texture of using brown sugar.
KITCHEN EQUIPMENT YOU'LL NEED:
- Hand or stand mixer with a whisk attachment
- Medium-sized bowl
- Measuring cups / spoons / kitchen scale
- Muffin tin
HOW TO MAKE CINNAMON STREUSEL MUFFINS:
- Cream butter and sugar. In your mixer or with your hand-held mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy on medium speed - 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add the liquid ingredients. To the same bowl on medium-low speed, beat in the eggs one at a time, then the milk, and finally the vanilla extract until all combined.
- Mix and add the dry ingredients. In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon - give it a little mix with a fork or spoon. Then on low speed (so it doesn't poof out everywhere), gradually add the dry into the wet mixture until just combined.
- Pour into the muffin tin. Grease and line 9 spaces in your muffin tin and pour the batter evenly in them (about ½ cup in each).
- Make the streusel. In a small bowl (can be the same as you used to mix the dry ingredients) add the melted butter, flour, light brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt until combined - it'll be a sandy-like texture that sticks together when you clump some together. Sprinkle evenly across all the 9 muffins, clumping some together as you go.
- Bake. Bake the muffins in a 350℉ oven for about 18-22 minutes until golden and a tester comes out clean.
HOW TO STORE THESE CINNAMON STREUSEL MUFFINS:
These muffins are best stored at room temperature in an air-tight container for about 4 days. Make sure they're completely cooled before you store them, otherwise they'll get soggy.
You can also freeze these muffins - wrap tightly in aluminum foil or plastic wrap and store in a freezer bag. Reheat in the microwave about 10-30 seconds (depending on the strength of your microwave)