Let me tell you - this soup is so delicious and SO simple to make. Perfect for a weeknight meal or a snack for the weekend if you serve it in cute little bowls — maybe even football Sunday?! The world is your creamy tomato soup oyster.
The beautiful creamy blend of tomatoes, onion, butter, garlic — mm. There are few smells better than tomatoes and onion simmering on the stovetop. My fellow Italians — I know you feel me.
Also, I ate this for a week straight and didn’t get tired of it, so that’s awesome. I feel like that’s a tell tale sign of a winner.
Creamy Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons
For the soup:
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 1 yellow or white onion roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 2 28 oz cans diced peeled tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoon fresh basil finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon fresh parsley finely chopped
- Salt & pepper
For the grilled cheese croutons:
- 2-3 tablespoon of butter room temp
- 6 - 8 slices of white bread more or less slices depending on how many croutons you want
- 4 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a Dutch oven, sauté the butter, onion and garlic until fragrant and the onions are slightly transparent.
- Add in the tomatoes, tomato paste, hefty pinch of salt and pepper, and cayenne and let simmer for 10-15 minutes
- Using either an immersion blender or by transferring to a blender, puree tomato mixture.
- Return to the Dutch oven and finish with heavy cream, basil and parsley.
- For the grilled cheese croutons, spread room temperature butter on one side of each slice of bread. Add equal parts cheddar and mozzarella cheese to 4 slices (about ½ inch thick), and top with other slice of bread.
- Put butter side down on a medium-high heated non-stick skillet. Flip to the other side once the first side is medium-browned.
- Once done cooking,Cut into 1 inch thick cubes and add as a topper to the soup.