Mini strawberry & blueberry galettes are a perfect single-serve dessert for summer. Buttery flaky crust loaded with fresh strawberries & blueberries that get even more delicious as they bake. Topped with ice cream or whipped cream, so good and not too sweet!
For the dough:
- All purpose flour: AP flour is always my go-to, but whole wheat or gluten free would work too.
- Unsalted butter: Make sure the butter is right out of the fridge when you make the dough. You'll want little butter nuggets throughout. Whenever baking you always want to use unsalted butter so that you can control the salt quantity.
- Ice water: This will help keep the butter cold, and also help make the crust nice and flaky. I prepped a cup of ice water and then just grabbed tbsps as necessary.
- Salt: Always. I use kosher salt here.
For the filling:
- Fresh strawberries & blueberries: Strawberries and blueberries are a classic berry combination, can't go wrong. You could really sub any berries and it would be great though.
- Corn starch: This ingredient is crucial as it will help thicken the berries (& their juices!) as they bake.
- Granulated sugar: Just a little hint of sugar!
- Lemon juice: The acid really helps balance this out and gives it a subtle brightness.
- Salt: Same as above - kosher salt.
- Egg wash: Egg wash is just one egg beaten with about a tbsp water. When brushed onto the edges of the crust before baking it helps make the beautiful golden brown color.
- Turbinado sugar: I am obsessed with sprinkling turbinado sugar onto my baked goods lately. Such a nice crunch! You could also use demerara which is a little thicker.
- Ice cream: Can't make galettes and not top them with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. You could also whip some heavy cream or buy store-bought whipped cream.
HOW TO MAKE THESE MINI GALETTES:
** You will need to chill the dough for at least 2 hours.
First make the dough. In a food processor, pulse the flour, salt, and cubed butter until the butter is pea-sized. Slowly pour in the ice water until it's just moist enough to stick together. You could also do this by hand - just work the butter into the flour to achieve similar pea-sized pieces. Then pour the water in and mix until the dough is able to come together. Form the dough into a disk, wrap with plastic wrap, and place into the fridge for at least 2 hours.
Once you're nearing the end of the 2 hours, preheat your oven 375℉.
For the filling of these mini strawberry & blueberry galettes, you'll want to slice your strawberries about ½ an inch thick. Then combine them with the blueberries and the rest of the filling ingredients. Set aside.
Grab the dough out of the fridge and roll out on a floured surface until about ¼ inch thick. Then using either a pastry cutter, bowl, or anything about 6 inches in diameter, cut out four circles. You may only get three at first and then just roll the scraps back out to get the fourth (careful to not work it too much though, you don't want to melt the butter).
Leaving about 1 inch around the edge, evenly place the filling between all four circles (about ¼ cup in each). Fold up the edges around the filling - this can be totally freeform, don't worry about it being perfect. Looks better rustic!
Make a quick egg wash by beating one egg with about 1 tbsp of water. Brush around the edges of the galettes and then sprinkle the edges with turbinado sugar.
Bake for 28-30 minutes until golden brown and bubbly. Enjoy with a large scoop of vanilla ice cream (or whipped cream or topping of choice)!
SOME MORE SUMMER DESSERTS:
- Key lime shortbread cookies
- Sweet roasted plums with Greek yogurt
- Lemon blueberry yogurt loaf
- Apple & blueberry pecan crumble