These Chimichurri Shrimp Bowls are absolutely loaded with herby flavor goodness. The chimichurri is packed with flavor from all angles with plenty of herbs, garlic, oil, vinegar, and lime juice. Slather that over shrimp and serve with rice, avocado and limey cabbage and you have a delicious healthy meal.
INGREDIENTS FOR THIS BOWL RECIPE:
- Shrimp: You'll want to use either fresh or defrosted shrimp for this recipe
- Shallot: A base ingredient for the chimichurri
- Garlic: A must in the chimichurri
- Fresh herbs: This recipe uses a combination of parsley and cilantro
- Red wine vinegar: Helps bring the refreshing kick to the chimichurri
- Lime juice: Paired with the red wine vinegar is the perfect acidity
- White rice: This is my grain of choice to serve with, but you could definitely use whatever you like – quinoa, farro, brown rice, cauliflower rice, and so on
- Avocado: Another topping - I love the texture of avocado in "bowl" recipes!
- Cabbage: If you squeeze a little lime juice on the cabbage it naturally softens it down a little bit while still having a great crunch. I used red but you can use any kind
KITCHEN EQUIPMENT YOU'LL NEED:
- Chef's knife
- Cutting board
- Food processor
- Pot (if making rice)
WHAT IS CHIMICHURRI?
Chimichurri is an un-cooked sauce/condiment with origins in Argentina and Uruguay. It is most traditionally made with parsley, oregano, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper, and served alongside steaks and other meats, but can also be paired with poultry or fish.
This recipe adds some additional less traditional ingredients into the mix – but all ways are totally delicious and filled with flavor.
Here is a recipe I found with a traditional version from Cafe Delites.
Another recipe with chimichurri I love is this smashed lemony potatoes with chimichurri.
HOW TO MAKE CHIMICHURRI SHRIMP BOWLS:
Most shrimp recipes are super easy because shrimp cooks so quickly, making it the perfect protein for a quick delicious meal. This one is right there with the rest in being super easy and quick to make!
- Step 1: Make the chimichurri. In a food processor, combine the shallot, garlic, herbs, olive oil, red wine vinegar, lime, salt and pepper.
- Step 2: Marinate the shrimp. In a bowl, add the shrimp, 1 tbsp chimichurri, and 1 tbsp olive oil. Mix together and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Step 3: Cook the shrimp. Warm a large pan on medium-high heat. Carefully add the shrimp in a single layer, along with the excess chimichurri and olive oil. Cook 2-3 minutes on each side until no longer translucent.
- Step 4: Serve. Serve the shrimp with rice, avocado, cabbage (with juice of ½ a lime), and more chimichurri on top.
Chimichurri Shrimp Bowls
- 1 lb shrimp
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For the chimichurri (makes about 1 cup):
- 1 shallot diced
- 3 cloves garlic diced
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- Juice of 1 lime
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1 avocado
- ½ cup purple cabbage + juice of ½ a lime
- In a food processor, combine the shallot, garlic, herbs, olive oil, red wine vinegar, lime, salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, add the shrimp, 1 tbsp chimichurri, and 1 tbsp olive oil. Mix together and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Warm a large pan on medium-high heat. Carefully add the shrimp in a single layer, along with the excess chimichurri and olive oil. Cook 2-3 minutes on each side until no longer translucent.
- Serve the shrimp with rice, avocado, cabbage (with juice of ½ a lime), and more chimichurri on top.