Fluffy buttermilk pancakes with blueberry compote are just that. A stack of my go-to delicious fluffy buttermilk pancakes, topped with a bursting blueberry compote that has a hint of lemon for brightness. Great for a weekend brunch, and easy enough for any weekday breakfast.
- All purpose flour: My usual go-to flour.
- Baking powder: This provides the rise for the pancakes. Definitely don't skip this.
- Granulated sugar: An ever so slight sweetness to help balance the tang of the buttermilk. Also a little bit goes into the compote as well.
- Vanilla extract: I always put vanilla extract in my pancakes. It's just ingrained in me at this point. So delicious.
- Large egg: Large is the perfect size for this batter. Make sure the egg is room temperature so that it incorporates with the other ingredients well.
- Melted butter: Unsalted! This needs to be room temperature so that it doesn't cook the egg. So you'll want to melt it, and then leave it to cool down at room temp, or put it in the fridge for a few minutes (but make sure to grab it before it solidifies back up).
- Buttermilk: Best if this is room temperature but if it has a little chill still that's fine, just not very much (or it will solidify the butter). Buttermilk in pancakes is a classic and ever so slightly tangy, but so good.
- Blueberries: I used fresh for this recipe, but you could also use frozen. Just add a few more minutes to the cooking time if so.
- Lemon juice: This gets added into the blueberry compote. The acidity brightens it up nicely.
HOW TO MAKE THESE FLUFFY BUTTERMILK PANCAKES WITH BLUEBERRY COMPOTE:
Start with the compote as this will need to cool down a little to thicken before being poured onto your pancakes. In a small pot on medium heat, add the blueberries, lemon juice, granulated sugar, and salt. Stir frequently. After a few minutes, the blueberries will start to burst. Continue to stir frequently for about 6-8 minutes. Pour into a bowl and allow to cool down and thicken up.
Next melt the butter and set aside to cool to room temp. You can do this on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Then, in a medium-sized bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder and sugar. Mix to combine. Right into the bowl, add the room temperature egg, buttermilk, vanilla, and cooled melted butter. Whisk or mix until the batter just comes together, having a few little lumps is ok!
Grab a non-stick skillet and heat to medium (depending on your skillet you might need to add a little bit of butter, ghee, coconut oil, etc. to ensure the pancakes don't stick). Once heated, pour in ¼ cup of the batter at a time for each pancake. Cook on the first side until little bubbles start to form and release, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side for about 2 minutes.
Repeat until the batter is done, you'll get about 6 or 7 pancakes. Spoon the blueberry compote over top and enjoy!
OTHER BREAKFAST & BRUNCH RECIPES:
- Fluffy chocolate chip muffins
- Lemon blueberry yogurt loaf
- Cinnamon swirl streusel loaf
- Best ever oatmeal
Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes with Blueberry Compote
For the pancakes:
- 1 ¼ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg room temp
- 2 tablespoon butter melted + brought to room temp
- 1 cup buttermilk room temp
For the blueberry compote:
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice about ½ of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Make the blueberry compote first. In a small pot on medium heat, add all blueberry compote ingredients. Stir frequently for about 6-8 minutes total (the blueberries will start to burst around 3-4 minutes). Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool (it will thicken as it cools).
- Next, melt the butter either in a small skillet/pot on the stovetop or in the microwave. Allow to come down to room temperature before you add it to the batter mixture.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder, and granulated sugar. Stir to combine. Then right into the bowl add in the vanilla extract, room temp egg, room temp butter, and room temp buttermilk. Mix until just combined.
- Grab a large non-stick skillet and heat it on medium heat. Dollop in ¼ cup of batter for each pancake. Cook about 3 minutes on the first side (until little bubbles start to form and pop), and 2 minutes on the other side.
- Serve pancakes with plenty of blueberry compote spooned on top.