This cinnamon swirl streusel loaf could not be more perfect IMO. A deliciously moist loaf cake with swirls of cinnamon sugar and topped with the most perfectly crunchy streusel. Loaded with cinnamon and just so, so good.
For the batter:
- All purpose flour: This is my go-to baking flour, but you could sub in gluten free flour if needed.
- Baking powder: Gives it the rise! Don't skip this!
- Cinnamon: It wouldn't be cinnamon loaf without cinnamon, right?!
- Salt: Never skip salt!
- Granulated sugar: Just a perfect hint of sweetness.
- Full fat plain Greek yogurt: This ingredient brings a ton of moisture and a little tang (but not too tangy, don't worry). You could use a lower fat content, but don't use flavored.
- Vanilla extract: Always!
- Eggs: Make sure these are room temp! If they're not perfectly room temp it's not horrible, just make sure they've at least sat out long enough to remove their fridge chill.
- Canola oil: You could also sub vegetable oil or any other neutral oil here.
For the filling:
- Cinnamon: This is where we want to really load in the cinnamon, so don't skimp on the quantity for this part.
- Granulated sugar: A classic cinnamon sugar combo! One of the best.
For the streusel:
- Butter: Unsalted! What's a streusel without butter? If you need to use salted butter that's fine, just add less salt.
- Brown sugar: I use light brown sugar but you could also use dark. Whatever you have!
- Granulated sugar: A nice balance with the brown sugar.
- All purpose flour: Helps form those beautiful streusel clumps.
- Cinnamon: More cinnamon for the cinnamon streusel loaf, of course!
- Salt: Just a bit - helps bring out the other flavors & help balance the sweetness.
HOW TO MAKE CINNAMON SWIRL STREUSEL LOAF:
This cinnamon swirl streusel loaf, like most others, are pretty simple in terms of putting them together!
You'll want to first add the dry ingredients into a medium bowl - flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt. Then in a separate bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar, Greek yogurt, vanilla extract, eggs, and canola oil. Add the liquid mixture into the dry and combine!
In a small bowl, combine the cinnamon and sugar for the swirl.
For the streusel topping, in a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter. To that bowl, add the granulated sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Mix together with a fork until it comes together - it'll be kind of clumpy.
Prep a standard sized loaf pan by ensuring it is greased - whether that be spray, butter, ghee, use what you prefer. Put ⅓ of the batter into the loaf pan, and sprinkle ½ of the cinnamon sugar mixture evenly on top. Then follow with another ⅓ of the batter, followed with the other ½ of the cinnamon sugar mixture. Then top with the remaining ⅓ of batter. Finally, crumble up the streusel across the top of the batter evenly - you'll want some larger chunks and some smaller.
Bake for at 350℉ for 55-60 minutes until you can insert a knife into the center and it comes out clean. Serve warm or at room temperature. If you're looking for something super indulgent, serve with a scoop of vanilla or chocolate ice cream on top!
HOW TO STORE IT:
You can keep the loaf in an air-tight container at room temperature or in the fridge for about 5 days. You can also freeze it, wrapped tightly, for about 3 months.
OTHER LOAF CAKE RECIPES TO EXPLORE:
Cinnamon Swirl Streusel Loaf
For the cake:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup plain whole fat Greek yogurt
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs room temp
- ½ cup canola oil
For the swirl:
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- ½ cup granulated sugar
For the streusel:
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat your oven to 350℉ and prep a standard loaf pan by greasing it with non-stick spray, butter, or ghee.
- To make the loaf batter: in a medium bowl, combine the all purpose flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. In a separate medium bowl, combine the granulated sugar, Greek yogurt, vanilla extract, eggs, and canola oil. Add the liquid mixture into the dry, and mix to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine the swirl ingredients (cinnamon and granulated sugar).
- In a separate, microwave safe small bowl, melt the butter for the streusel topping. Then add in the brown sugar, granulated sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Mix together with a fork until little clumps form.
- To assemble - put ⅓ of the batter evenly in the loaf pan. Follow with ½ of the cinnamon sugar mixture. Then add another ⅓ of the batter, followed by the second ½ of the cinnamon sugar mixture. Top with the remaining batter, and then finish with the streusel crumbles.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes, until a fork comes out clean when inserted into the center.
- Enjoy warm or at room temp!