I eat cheese way more than I should, more than doctors recommend, and certainly more than your average person. But I just can’t help it. It’s in a lot of my favorite dishes and it’s just plain old good. Even in it’s simplest form — cheese and crackers, and certainly in all of it’s glory — queso.
Melty, a hint of spice, the warmth of cumin, and a bite of corn. I can’t imagine a better way to spend a lazy Sunday then diving into this warm cheesy queso with a nice toasty chip. Can you?
Not only is this easy peasy to whip together, but it serves a crowd. With Super Bowl Sunday coming up, we all know that’s necessary. But don’t get me wrong, this can live waaaay beyond just that day.
Also, with the freezing cold weather going on around the U.S., I’m sure you all could use something like this — especially those of you in the midwest. I saw an article about Chicago saying that you shouldn’t breathe outside… not sure how to quite react to that aside from s**t.
So with that, I’ll just get right to it:
Jalapeño Corn Queso Dip
- 1 shallot diced
- 1 jalapeño seeded and diced — but keep a few seeds if you like spicy
- 1 ½ cups frozen corn thawed
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 8 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 oz shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- pinch of salt
- tortilla chips
- cilantro & lime for garnish if desired
- n a medium sized pot, on medium heat, melt butter and sauté shallot, garlic, jalapeños, and defrosted corn with cumin and cayenne pepper
- Once fragrant, about 5 minutes, add in the whole milk and a large pinch of salt
- Once that comes to a light simmer, reduce heat to low and gradually stir in cream cheese
- Toss the shredded sharp cheddar and monterey jack cheeses in the corn starch, then add in a few rounds to the queso mixture — mix until combined
- Serve warm, with a lot of chips! You can also add chopped cilantro + a squeeze of lime if desired