This super easy loaded twice baked potatoes recipe is going to quickly become a favorite. Crispy potato skins filled with creamy mashed potatoes all topped with melty cheese, crisp bacon, green onions, and sour cream. All the best things a loaded baked potato has to offer. Perfect for an appetizer, side dish, and game day.
INGREDIENTS FOR THESE LOADED TWICE BAKED POTATOES:
- Russet Potatoes
- Heavy Cream
- Onion Powder
- Cheddar Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Green Onions/Scallions/Chives
- Salt & Pepper
- Olive Oil
KITCHEN EQUIPMENT YOU'LL NEED:
- Half-size baking sheet
- Chef's knife
- Medium bowl
- Fork & spoon
- Measuring cups
- Coarse grater (if using a block of cheese)
- Cutting board
- Skillet (if using bacon)
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
- Step 1: Prep your potatoes. Clean your potatoes and pierce each a few times with a fork. Rub them with olive oil and sprinkle all over with salt. Place on your baking sheet.
- Step 2: Bake. Bake the potatoes for 50-60 minutes at 425℉. You can also make your bacon at this time (if you are using as a topping). Allow the potatoes to cool slightly, then cut them in half length-wise.
- Step 3: Make the filling. After cutting in half, carefully remove the inside of the potatoes, leaving about ½" all over. Add the insides to a bowl and combine with the butter, heavy cream, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Step 4: 2nd bake. Evenly add the filling back into the potato shells. Top with a sprinkle of cheddar and bake again for 5-10 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- Step 5: Toppings. Once you pull your twice baked potatoes out of the oven, top with sour cream, bacon, and green onions.
LOADED BAKED POTATO TOPPINGS:
There are a few loaded baked potato toppings that are key and non-negotiable in my opinion – sour cream, bacon, and green onions. Some others that you could add:
- Red onion
- Ground beef
OTHER APPETIZER & SIDE DISH RECIPES:
- Everything Chicks in a Blanket
- Cheesy Garlic Knot Pizza Dip
- Tomato Confit & Whipped Ricotta Toasts
- Spicy Roasted Garlic & White Bean Dip
- Zucchini Fritters with Homemade Chipotle Mayo
- Loaded Vegetarian Greek Pita Nachos
Loaded Twice Baked Potatoes
- 3 russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoon salt divided - some for sprinkling on the skins, some for the filling
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1-2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 strips bacon chopped
- Chopped green onions
- Sour cream
- Preheat your oven to 425℉.
- Prep your potatoes - clean them, pierce a few holes with a fork, rub them all over with olive oil, and sprinkle evenly with 1 teaspoon salt. Place them on a baking sheet and bake 50-60 minutes.
- Now is a good time to make the bacon if you're using it.
- Allow them to cool slightly, cut in half, and carefully remove the inside leaving about ½" in there. Add the insides of all to a bowl and combine with the butter, heavy cream, onion powder, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper.
- Add the filling evenly back into the potatoes and sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Put back into the oven for 5-10 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- To serve, top with chopped bacon, chopped green onion, and a dollop of sour cream.