This raspberry almond crumb cake combines a moist, thick cake as the base and is topped with bright fresh raspberries and a cinnamon-y, almond packed, buttery crumb topping. Can't go wrong!
- All purpose flour: My go-to.
- Baking powder: For the rise!
- Granulated & brown sugar: The combination of both sugars makes for a great flavor.
- Greek yogurt: Greek yogurt reallllllly is just amazing for aiding in a moist cake.
- Almond extract: Raspberry and almond pair deliciously. This crumb cake is topped with almonds, but also using almond extract in the cake itself really brings that flavor home.
- Vanilla extract: Always!
- Eggs: Use large eggs for this recipe, room temp is best but not necessary here.
- Vegetable oil: Vegetable is just typically what I have on hand but you can just as easily use canola or another neutral oil.
- Fresh raspberries: Fresh is best as they burst when they're baked and become the most delicious raspberry layer.
- Sliced almonds: Not only do almonds taste great with raspberries as mentioned above, but when these bake with the crumb topping they become even crunchier and deeper in flavor. So good.
- Unsalted butter: To perfectly achieve the crumbly topping, the butter should be cold when you combine it with the other topping ingredients.
HOW TO MAKE THIS RASPBERRY ALMOND CRUMB CAKE:
First you'll want to preheat your oven to 350℉ and line and grease a 9x9 baking pan.
Start by making the batter. Combine the dry batter ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt) in one bowl. Then in a separate bowl, combine first the eggs and both sugars. Once those are combined, add in the remaining wet ingredients (Greek yogurt, extracts, canola oil). Mix those together then mix in the dry ingredients. The batter will be pretty thick! Pour the batter into the greased and lined baking pan.
Top with the fresh raspberries in a single, even layer. Then in a small bowl combine all the ingredients for the crumb topping (light brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, butter, salt, almonds). Work together with your hands until it looks like a sandy consistency with some larger chunks of butter still remaining. Sprinkle evenly on top of the raspberry layer.
Bake for 50-55 minutes until top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for at least 15 minutes.
SOME OTHER FRUITY BAKED GOODS:
- Strawberry peanut butter bars
- Lemon blueberry yogurt loaf
- Strawberry & raspberry cardamom biscuit cobbler
- Apple & blueberry pecan crumble
Raspberry Almond Crumb Cake
FOR THE CAKE:
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup plain whole milk greek yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup unsalted butter cold, cubed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- Powdered sugar for serving if desired
- Preheat your oven to 350℉ and line and grease a 9x9 baking pan.
To make the cake batter:
- In one bowl, combine the dry ingredients - flour, baking powder, salt.
- In another bowl, mix together the eggs, granulated sugar, and light brown sugar until combined and smooth. Then mix in the yogurt, almond and vanilla extracts, and vegetable oil.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet and combine (will be a thick batter).
- Pour into the batter into the prepped 9x9 pan and spread into an even layer.
- Top the batter layer with the 2 cups of fresh raspberries in an even, single layer.
To make the crumb topping:
- Combine all topping ingredients in a bowl and work together with your hands or a pastry cutter until you have a sand-like consistency with some larger butter chunks.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center. Allow to cool in the pan at least 15 minutes before removing. Serve with a sprinkle of powdered sugar if desired!