Chipotle Sweet Potatoes with Crispy Chickpeas is such an easy roasted sweet potato recipe that has bold and delicious flavors. It could be a full vegetarian dinner or simple side dish that really shines. With a limey yogurt drizzled on top, it has the perfect amount of spice that won't blow your socks off but still packs a ton of flavor.
A FEW INGREDIENT NOTES:
- Sweet potatoes: These are obviously the star of the dish. You want to pick sweet potatoes that are medium sized - not too big and not too small.
- Chipotles in adobo: This is where a lot of the flavor comes from. If you've never tried these, you're going to quickly become obsessed.
- Lime: Lime juice gets blended with the chipotle sauce and with the yogurt for a perfect acidic touch.
- Garlic: Garlic really just goes well with everything.
- Chickpeas: These are going to get nice and roasty toasty in the oven.
- Cumin: The chickpeas get tossed in cumin when they come out of the oven and with the chipotles it's a delicious flavor combo.
- Greek yogurt: I prefer full-fat but you can use whatever you prefer. It's mixed with lime and grated/finely chopped garlic then gets drizzled on top of the sweet potatoes and is deliciously refreshing.
- Cilantro: Need to finish it off with a fresh herb!
KITCHEN EQUIPMENT YOU'LL NEED:
- Cutting board
- Chef's knife
- Baking sheet
- Small bowl
- Aluminum foil
- Parchment paper
- Food processor
- Zester (optional)
HOW TO PERFECTLY ROAST CHICKPEAS:
Roasting chickpeas is my favorite way to eat them and is really so much easier to do than you may think. And there's a trick to getting them extra crispy -
Drain and rinse your chickpeas. Put them between a dish towel and lightly rub back and forth. You'll see that the "skin" of the chickpeas starts to come off. Using your fingers just peel it off - should come off really easily.
Prep a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread out the chickpeas and drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tsp salt. Then, bake them at 400℉ for 20-30 minutes, shaking the pan every 10 minutes or so.
When they come out of the oven, sprinkle spices on while they're still warm, and add more salt to taste.
HOW TO PERFECTLY ROAST SWEET POTATOES:
Roasting sweet potatoes is as easy as can be, and the method changes a little bit depending on how they're cut, but in my opinion always come out best at 425℉.
For each of the methods below, make sure you drizzle with olive oil (about ½ - 1 tbsp per potato) and plenty of salt and seasoning.
- Cubing your sweet potatoes into 1-inch cubes - roast them at 425℉ for 35-45 minutes, tossing half way through.
- Cubing your sweet potatoes into ½-inch cubes - roast them at 425℉ for 25-30 minutes, tossing half way through.
- Cutting your sweet potatoes in half - roast them at 425℉ for 35 minutes covered in aluminum foil, and 10-20 minutes uncovered.
- Cutting your sweet potatoes into medallions - roast them at 425℉ for 20-30 minutes, flipping half way through.
HOW TO MAKE THESE CHIPOTLE SWEET POTATOES WITH CRISPY CHICKPEAS:
- Step 1: Roast your chickpeas. Rinse and drain the chickpeas, then using a kitchen towel remove as much of the excess skin as you can. Drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tsp salt, roast on a parchment-lined baking sheet at 400℉ for 20-30 minutes, shaking the pan every 10 or so. When they come out of the oven, sprinkle with the cumin.
- Step 2: Prep your sweet potatoes. Leave the skin on, and scrub your sweet potatoes clean. Slice each in half lengthwise. Set aside on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Step 3: Make the chipotle sauce. In a food processor, combine the 2 chipotles in adobo, juice of 1 lime (about 2tsp), 3 garlic cloves, 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp pepper, and 1 tbsp olive oil. Pulse until finely chopped and combined.
- Step 4: Coat the sweet potatoes & bake. Drizzle the chipotle sauce over the sweet potatoes to coat them. Bake them at 425℉ covered with aluminum foil for 35 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for another 10-20 minutes, until fork-tender.
- Step 5: Yogurt sauce. While the sweet potatoes are baking, combine the ½ cup greek yogurt, 1 grated garlic clove (or finely chopped), and the juice of ½ a lime (about 1 tsp).
- Step 6: Assemble & serve. When the sweet potatoes are done, to assemble - top with the roasted chickpeas, then drizzle with the yogurt sauce, and top with fresh cilantro.