Where to even start with lasagna. It is the OG of my childhood diet, and still a main player in the diet of my mid-twenties life. This skillet broken lasagna with ground chicken is a typical layered lasagna, reimagined.
It's a one pan meal that's perfect for busy weeknights when you're feeling lazy and don't want to clean up a bunch of dishes. I don't know about you all, but that sentence is basically me all the time.
This lasagna is different than a classic layered one because the tomato sauce and ricotta/mozzarella cheeses blend together while cooking. This forms a delicious mixture that I want to devour and dip an entire loaf of bread in.
You can use ground chicken, ground beaf, or no meat at all! This dish it totally customizable.
Weeknight Broken Lasagna with Ground Chicken
- ½ - 1 lb ground chicken depending on preference
- 1 box dry lasagna noodles broken
- 1 jar marinara sauce or can of crushed tomatoes
- ½ yellow onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- Fresh parsley for serving
- Salt + pepper
- In a skillet or cast iron pan on medium heat, drizzle about 1 tablespoon of olive oil and cook the ground chicken for about 5 minutes, then add in the onions and garlic and cook for another 5 or so minutes, until the onions start to sweat.
- Add the tomato sauce and crushed/broken noodles to the skillet and mix to combine. Let this simmer for 10 minutes, then add in the mozzarella and ricotta cheese, slightly stirring to combine.
- Let simmer for another 5 minutes, then remove from heat and finish with chopped parsley and additional dollops of ricotta cheese (optional).