This Creamy Tortellini Tomato and Pesto Soup is exactly what chilly weather calls for. A delicious brothy, tomato-y, creamy base with swirls of pesto and tons of tortellini and kale. Slightly spicy, and definitely hearty and so so good. A perfect easy dinner recipe that comes together in about 30 minutes.
A FEW INGREDIENT NOTES:
- Crushed tomatoes: I prefer using crushed tomatoes for soup recipes but you could absolutely use diced tomatoes as well.
- Chicken broth: Regular or low sodium works. If you're using low sodium check on the salt level as you're cooking. You could also use vegetable broth.
- Tomato paste: This ensures there's a really great tomato flavor. Don't skip this!
- Pesto: Adding pesto into soup is a really easy way to add great flavor. You could make homemade for sure, but there are some delicious store-bought options too, which is what I used here. This is what I used.
- Tortellini: I used refrigerated cheese tortellini but you could absolutely use whatever your favorite tortellini is. You could also use frozen if that's what you have on hand just cook them longer in the soup.
- Kale: A lot of people are adverse to kale, but in soup is actually one of my favorite ways to eat it because it wilts down quite a bit and takes on the flavor of whatever soup you add it to.
KITCHEN EQUIPMENT YOU'LL NEED:
- Large soup pot or dutch oven
- Cutting board
- Chef's knife
- Measuring cups / spoons
HOW TO MAKE CREAMY TORTELLINI TOMATO & PESTO SOUP:
This Creamy Tortellini Tomato and Pesto Soup seriously comes together so quickly and with such easy steps.
- Sauté. In olive oil sauté the garlic and shallot on medium heat until fragrant and the shallots begin to get translucent - about 3 - 5 minutes.
- Caramelize. Add in the tomato paste and cook for another 3 - 5 minutes to caramelize the paste a little - this really brings out great flavor.
- Add liquids. Then add in the chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, pesto, oregano, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Mix to combine and bring to a boil.
- Tortellini and kale. Once it's boiling, add the tortellini and cook for 3 minutes, then stir in the kale.
- Heavy cream & serve. Finish with the heavy cream and serve with parmesan cheese.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH TORTELLINI SOUP:
While this tortellini soup is 100% hearty enough to fill you up, if you want to serve something along side it, here are some great options of what can be paired with it!
- Garlic bread (of course)
- Chicken cutlets
- A delicious salad
- Corn bread
- Grilled cheese sandwich
HOW TO STORE CREAMY TORTELLINI SOUP:
This soup is best kept in the fridge for up to four days.
You might be thinking - can I freeze soup with pasta in it? Short answer: it's best not to. This is because in the reheating process, the pasta (especially when it's filled) will get mushy and break.
OTHER EASY COZY DINNER RECIPES:
- One Pan Chicken Pot Pie
- Apple Cider Braised Chicken Thighs
- Spicy White Bean Zuppa Toscana
- Roasted Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link.