Apple cider braised chicken thighs are so delicious and come together all in one pot, making them a great easy weeknight fall meal. Perfectly crispy skin, tender potatoes, and a ton of onions all simmered and baked in apple cider and wine. So, so yummy.
A FEW KEY INGREDIENT NOTES FOR BRAISED CHICKEN THIGHS:
- Chicken: For this recipe I prefer bone-in skin-on chicken thighs. These will be the most moist after being seared and baked, and retain that delicious flavor. You could absolutely do boneless if you prefer.
- Potatoes: Yukon gold baby potatoes are ideal because of their buttery texture. Other baby potato varieties will likely be fine to substitute.
- Apple cider: Apple cider is certainly not hard to come by this time of year. Just make sure that it's not sparkling apple cider.
- White wine: You'll want to use a dry white wine. I recommend buying one that you will also enjoy drinking because you'll have a decent amount left in the bottle!
- Dijon mustard: This ingredient gives adds delicious depth of flavor to the sauce. I wouldn't recommend skipping it, but if you really don't like mustard, you could.
- Thyme: Fresh is best but if you need/want to sub for dried do so by using ½ tsp.
KITCHEN TOOLS YOU'LL NEED:
- Braiser or heavy-bottom stovetop to oven pot (at least 3.5QT)
- Cutting board
- Chef's knife
- Measuring cups & spoons
- Wood spoon
HOW TO MAKE APPLE CIDER BRAISED CHICKEN THIGHS:
Apple cider braised chicken is a dish loaded with so much flavor that takes only a few easy steps to make.
- Step 1: Prep. Clean your chicken as needed, season both sides with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Chop your onions, potatoes, and garlic.
- Step 2: Brown. On medium-high heat, melt olive oil and sear both sides of the chicken thighs until golden brown, about 5 minutes on each side.
- Step 3: Sauté. Lower the heat to medium and sauté the onions and garlic about 5 minutes.
- Step 4: Deglaze & reduce. Pour the white wine in and deglaze the pan, allow to simmer for about 5 minutes. Then mix in the apple cider and dijon mustard. Bring to a simmer and allow to reduce for about 5-8 minutes.
- Step 5: Add in the baby potatoes & sprinkle with salt, pepper and the thyme. Layer the chicken on top and bake uncovered at 400℉ for 30-35 minutes until the potatoes are fork-tender.
WHAT IS BRAISED CHICKEN?
Braised chicken is a two-step cooking process that begins with a sear to get it golden brown, followed by a slower bake in a liquid/broth. This cooking method enables both a crispy skin and delicious, moist chicken infused with the flavors of the liquid.
OTHER EASY DELICIOUS FALL DINNER RECIPES:
- Sweet Potato Quinoa Burgers
- Roasted Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese
- Spinach, Pesto & Cheese Stuffed Shells
- Creamy Pumpkin Pasta Sauce with Sage Breadcrumbs
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link.