This Instant Pot Pulled BBQ Chicken recipe could not be easier or more delicious. Simply combine your favorite BBQ sauce with a few more ingredients for added flavor, and you get delicious, juicy chicken in under 30 minutes.
INGREDIENTS YOU'LL NEED FOR THIS DISH:
- Chicken breasts: These are of course the core item, so try to buy good quality chicken breast!
- Chicken stock: You need a decent amount of liquid in the Instant Pot so that it doesn't burn as it's cooking, that's where the chicken stock comes in. You could also use vegetable stock.
- BBQ sauce: This is eaters choice - choose your favorite BBQ sauce to use in the dish! I used Stubbs Original, which is delicious.
- Garlic: Grated garlic for extra flavor.
- Red onion: Grated red onion also for tons of flavor.
- Worcestershire sauce: Loaded with flavor - don't skip it!!
KITCHEN EQUIPMENT YOU'LL NEED:
- Chef's knife
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups
- Fine and coarse grater
- Forks to shred the chicken
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT PULLED BBQ CHICKEN:
Cooking in the Instant Pot is my absolute favorite because it's so easy and so hands-off. And cooking chicken in the instant pot is even better because the chicken always comes out so juicy and flavorful. This Instant Pot BBQ chicken is no different. Here's how to make it:
- Step 1: Add everything to the Instant Pot. Using your fine grater for the garlic and coarse for the onion, grate both directly into the instant pot. Then add the chicken stock, BBQ sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir to combine, then carefully lay in the chicken breasts.
- Step 2: Cook. Secure the Instant Pot lid and ensure the vent is set to sealed. Set it to pressure cook high for 10 minutes, then allow it to natural release for 10 minutes (which basically means don't touch it/don't release the pressure for 10 minutes). Once the 10 minutes is up, manually release the rest of the pressure. It's safe to open when the metal pin on the lid drops and no more steam comes out.
- Step 3: Shred the chicken. Remove the chicken from the pot and place on a plate or cutting board. Using your two forks, shred the chicken. Then add it back into the sauce.
- Step 4: Thicken the sauce. Once you've shredded the chicken and added it back into the pot with the sauce, set your Instant Pot to sauté for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
I recommend serving as a bbq pulled chicken sandwich with coleslaw (coleslaw recipe in the recipe card)!
HOW TO STORE BBQ PULLED CHICKEN:
This dish will keep well in the fridge for up to 5 days, stored in an air tight container. Simply reheat in the microwave until warm.
MORE EASY DINNER RECIPES:
- Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Pasta
- Maple Soy Shrimp
- One Pot Cheesy Orzo with Tomatoes
- Perfect Creamy Tomato Sauce Pasta