These Chicks in a Blanket with Everything Bagel Seasoning are a perfect appetizer for when you want something traditional (pigs in a blanket) with a little twist. Puff pastry-wrapped chicken sausage dipped in everything bagel seasoning and baked until golden brown.
This 3 ingredient easy appetizer is an absolute gem. It's just chicken pigs in a blanket, which if you don't love pork is a perfect swap.
- Puff pastry: This acts as the "blanket" in the chicks in a blanket.
- You can use crescent rolls instead.
- Chicken sausage: Fully cooked chicken sausage. You can use your favorite flavor – ones that I think work really well are: Chicken & Apple, Italian, Garlic & Gruyere, and anything spicy.
- Everything bagel seasoning: made up of salt, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dried minced garlic, and dried minced onion. If you have all of that on hand and want to make your own, go for it! I buy it pre-mixed at Trader Joe's.
Step by step instructions
Note: you need the puff pastry / crescent roll dough to be defrosted. So move it from the freezer into the fridge the night before or at least 6 hours in advance. Here's on thawing puff pastry.
1. Roll out the dough. Onto a flat surface, unfold / unroll the dough and cut it into 2 equal pieces vertically.
2. Roll up the chicken sausage. Place 4 links of chicken sausage on top of the 2 pieces of dough. Roll tightly and gently pinch the seam.
3. Cut and season. Prep a parchment-lined baking sheet. Cut the rolled sausage into even pieces and dip the dough part into the everything bagel seasoning.
4. Bake. Bake at 375℉ for about 12-15 minutes until golden.
Tips and tricks
- Use your favorite chicken sausage. This recipe chicken in a blanket recipe is pretty forgiving, so use whatever you like most.
- To get really golden chicks in a blanket, make an egg wash with 1 egg + 1 tablespoon water beaten, then brush on the dough before baking.
- Use a sharp knife. This will help ensure you get clean, easy cuts when cutting the links.
- If you forget to defrost your puff pastry dough, wrap it in a paper towel and defrost in the microwave in 30 second increments.
More easy appetizers
Chicks in a Blanket with Everything Bagel Seasoning
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 12 oz pre-cooked chicken sausage
- 2 tablespoon everything bagel seasoning
- Preheat your oven to 375℉.
- Onto a flat surface, unfold / unroll the dough and cut it into 2 equal pieces vertically.
- Place 4 links of chicken sausage on top of the 2 pieces of dough. Roll tightly and gently pinch the seam.
- Prep a parchment-lined baking sheet. Cut the rolled sausage into even pieces and dip the dough part into the everything bagel seasoning.
- Bake at 375℉ for about 12-15 minutes until golden.