These maple pecan pie shortbread bars are everything you love about pecan pie but way easier to make. They have a buttery shortbread bottom piled with a delicious, sweet maple pecan filling, sprinkled with flaky sea salt on top! A perfect Thanksgiving dessert that will surely be a crowd pleaser.
INGREDIENTS FOR THESE BARS:
- Chopped Pecans
- Maple Syrup
- Corn Syrup
- Dark Brown Sugar
- Unsalted Butter
- Granulated Sugar
- All Purpose Flour
- Vanilla Extract
KITCHEN EQUIPMENT YOU'LL NEED:
HOW TO MAKE THIESE MAPLE PECAN PIE BARS:
Pies can sometimes be intimidating to make, and that's why I find pie bars to be so perfect. These maple pecan pie shortbread bars come together in only a few easy steps.
- Step 1: Make the shortbread. Cream together the butter and sugar for 5 minutes. Add vanilla extract, salt, and flour and continue to beat until it just comes together, about 3 minutes. To a greased & lined 9x13 pan, spread the shortbread dough into an even layer. Bake at 325℉ for 20-30 minutes until the edges are golden.
- Step 2: Make the pie filling. Add the dark brown sugar, corn and maple syrups, eggs, melted butter, vanilla, and salt to a mixing bowl. Whisk to combine. Then mix in the chopped pecans.
- Step 3: When the shortbread is golden, remove from the oven and top with the pecan mixture. Put back into the oven for an additional 28-32 minutes until deeply golden. Sprinkle with salt and pepper right when it comes out of the oven. Let them cool in the pan for 30 minutes then move to a cooling rack.
- Allow to cool completely to room temperature before serving!
DO I REALLY NEED TO LET THEM COOL TO ROOM TEMP?
Short answer: Yes! You do!
Allowing them to cool to room temperature allows the pecan pie filling to set. If you don't do this, it will be sludgy and potentially collapse upon cutting. But don't fret, bringing it to room temperature does NOT take away from the absolute deliciousness that are these bars, and they are most certainly worth the wait.
HOW TO STORE PECAN PIE BARS:
Room temp: These pecan pie bars can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to one week.
Frozen: They can also be frozen for up to 1 month.
- Allow them to come to room temperature before freezing.
- I'd recommend cutting into individual sizes before freezing.
- To reheat from frozen, let it sit at room temp for about 10 minutes, then heat in a 350℉ oven for 10 minutes. This will ensure they warm up and remain crisp.
OTHER DELICIOUS EASY FALL DESSERTS:
- Spiced Apple Cider Loaf Cake
- Brown Sugar Cinnamon Cookies
- Easy Apple Crisp
- Maple Pumpkin Bread
- Chewy Ginger Cookies
Maple Pecan Pie Shortbread Bars
For the shortbread:
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temp
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
For the pie filling:
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- ½ cup corn syrup
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 4 eggs room temp
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter melted and slightly cooled
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- Preheat your oven to 350℉ and prep a 9x13 pan (grease and line with parchment paper so at least 1 inch is hanging over the edges)
- To make the shortbread:In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment (or using a hand mixer) cream the butter and sugar together for 5 minutes.
- Add in the salt, vanilla extract, and flour and beat for another 3 minutes until it comes together.
- Spread dough out in the baking pan (can use a spatula or your fingers).
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until the edges are nicely golden.
- To make the filling:Combine the dark brown sugar, corn syrup, maple syrup, eggs, melted butter. vanilla, and kosher salt in a mixing bowl. Whisk together.
- Add in the chopped pecans and mix in until just combined.
- When the shortbread is done baking, pour the pecan mixture on top and bake for an additional 28-32 minutes until deeply golden.
- Sprinkle with flaky sea salt when it comes right out of the oven.
- Allow to cool completely to room temp before cutting into it.