These plum and orange tarts take just a few ingredients and pack a ton of delicious flavor. Sweet plums and orange zest baked on top of flaky puff pastry rimmed with coarse sugar. And as the title suggests, it's super easy!
- Plums: The star of the show for this recipe. I absolutely love plums. They should be slightly firm with a bit of give for optimal ripeness. You could use any variety, choose your fave! Black and red are most common. I used both!
- Orange zest: The zest brings such a nice pop of bright flavor.
- Puff pastry: Such a workhorse in the kitchen.
- Coarse sugar: You could use either turbinado or demerara. If you haven't used this ingredient to top baked goods yet, now is your time to fall in love with it. Sugar in the Raw is a great option.
HOW TO MAKE THESE PLUM AND ORANGE TARTS
In just a few quick steps you'll have these beautiful tarts fresh out of the oven ready to devour!
Start by preheating your oven to 400℉. Grab your defrosted puff pastry out of the fridge and roll it out to be about ¼ inch thin, so you can get 12 squares each 3 inches in size. It's ok if they're not perfect! Layer 3-5 slices of plum on each (depending on the size of the plum slice and square). Sprinkle all over with orange zest.
Make a quick egg wash - whisk together the 1 egg with about 1 tsp of water. Brush along the edges of the tarts and then sprinkle over the egg wash with coarse sugar.
Bake for 15-18 minutes until the edges are nice and golden brown. Enjoy warm or at room temp.
MORE PLUM TREATS:
- Sweet roasted plums with Greek yogurt
- Peach, plum & blueberry crisp
- Ricotta toasts with plum, pistachios and honey