Granola stuffed buttermilk waffles may seem a bit random when it comes to a recipe. However, they are amazing and you should 100% give them a try. The fluffy buttermilk waffle paired with the delicious crunchy nutty granola honestly just makes for pure deliciousness.
I was first introduced to a concept similar to this when I was at college in Indiana. I would go to this brunch place every chance I got to get these waffles. For this instance, I use my granola recipe which is obviously one I recommend, but you can really use any granola that's your favorite. I do suggest using a loose granola versus one that has big chunks, though.
I find that these granola stuffed buttermilk waffles are a perfect way to seriously spice up your typical brunch, without adding too many extra steps.
Granola Stuffed Buttermilk Waffles
- Waffle iron
- Non-stick spray
- 1 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- ½ cup granola
- To serve: whipped cream berries, and/or yogurt
- Heat your waffle iron.
- In a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients - flour, sugar, baking powder, salt.
- In a small bowl, combine the wet ingredients - buttermilk, whole milk, egg yolks, vanilla extract, melted (and cooled) butter. Then pour into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix to combine.
- In a separate small bowl, whip the egg whites until loose peaks form. Fold into the batter mixture.
- Spray your waffle iron with a generous coating of non-stick spray. Pour ½ cup batter into the center or the iron, sprinkle (mostly towards the center) with 1 tablespoon granola, then top with another 1tablespoon batter.
- Cook for about 5-8 minutes until golden brown. Repeat until you've used all the batter.