These Triple Cinnamon Homemade Pop Tarts are super easy to make and way better than the store bought boxed version. They have cinnamon in three places – the pie dough, the brown sugar filling, and the powdered sugar icing – making them a delicious treat for breakfast.
KITCHEN EQUIPMENT YOU'LL NEED:
- Prep bowls
- Large baking sheet
- Rolling pin
- Chef's knife
- Spoon or whisk
- Wood spoon/rubber spatula
- Measuring cups & spoons
- Basting/Pastry brush
HOW TO MAKE THESE TRIPLE CINNAMON HOMEMADE CINNAMON POP TARTS:
There are three main elements that go into to making these Triple Cinnamon Homemade Pop Tarts, and each uses ingredients you very likely already have in your pantry – flour, butter, cinnamon, brown sugar, powdered sugar, and milk.
- Step 1: Make the cinnamon pie dough: combine the flour, salt, cinnamon, and granulated sugar. To that, add the cold cubed unsalted butter. Work the butter into the flour mixture with your hands until you get coarse crumbs. Then add in the water and mix until a dough forms. Pat into a rectangle shape and wrap in plastic wrap and set in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Step 2: Make the brown sugar cinnamon filling: Simply mix together the dark brown sugar, cinnamon, flour, and salt. Set aside.
- Step 3: Once the dough is cooled, remove it from the fridge and cut in half. Roll out to ⅛" thin, as close to the shape of a rectangle as you can get. Cut into 9 rectangles. Move them onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Step 4: Add 1 heaping tbsp of filling to the center of each dough rectangle, leaving ½" around the edge.
- Step 5: Repeat step 3 for the other half of dough, and place on top of the prepared halves. Using a fork, crimp down the edges. Brush with egg wash. Bake at 350℉ for 25-30 minutes.
- Step 6: Finish with cinnamon icing: combine the powdered sugar, milk, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl using a whisk or a fork until smooth. When the Pop Tarts come out of the oven, let them cool for at least 15 minutes, then drizzle with the icing.
HOW TO STORE HOMEMADE POP TARTS AND HOW LONG THEY LAST:
Homemade pop tarts should be stored at room temperature in an air-tight container. They will last about 1 week stored this way.
You can also freeze them, in which case they will last up to 3 months. To freeze homemade pop tarts, let them cool completely to room temperature, wrap each in aluminum foil, then put them together in a freezer-safe bag.
OTHER BREAKFAST RECIPES:
- Green Goddess Bacon, Egg & Cheese
- Raspberry Almond Crumb Cake
- Fluffy Buttermilk Waffles with Blueberry Compote
- Granola Stuffed Buttermilk Waffles
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link.