If you're looking for an easy and delicious breakfast recipe, look no further - these vegetarian breakfast burritos are beyond scrumptious and so fun to make. They're loaded with eggs, potatoes, cheddar cheese, black beans, a quick pico de gallo, and avocado. Breakfast burritos with potatoes are an absolute must.
INGREDIENTS FOR BREAKFAST BURRITOS:
Vegetarian breakfast burritos are the best because they're easily customizable to add in your favorite breakfast ingredients, and all the better because they're freezer friendly!
- Flour tortillas: Flour tortillas will be the best for this recipe because they're more flexible and less likely to break as you're rolling up your burrito. You'll want 10"-12" sized tortillas (burrito size).
- Russet potatoes: Russet potatoes are the best for breakfast potatoes and easily cooking them on the stovetop.
- Eggs: Large eggs are my preferred, doesn't matter if they're room temperature or anything like that.
- Cheddar cheese: Cheddar cheese has enough flavor to stand up to all that's going on in these breakfast burritos. You could also use Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack, or really any cheese you prefer that is able to get all melty.
- Black beans: Need some protein! These will get smashed up a little bit. Pinto would be a good substitution.
- Avocado: Completely optional but completely delicious.
- Pico de gallo: I have a recipe for a quick pico below that is perfect for these burritos, but store-bought is totally fine.
KITCHEN EQUIPMENT YOU'LL NEED:
- Non stick skillet
- Rubber spatula
- Chef's knife
- cutting board
- Large bowl
- Small bowl
HOW TO MAKE BREAKFAST BURRITOS:
- Step 1: Cook the potatoes. Heat your non-stick skillet to medium-high and add 1 tbsp neutral oil. Once it's hot, add the cubed potatoes, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook stirring occasionally for 25-30 minutes until tender. Set aside.
- Step 2: Make the eggs. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs with salt and pepper. In the same non-stick skillet that you cooked the potatoes in, cook the eggs on medium-low heat stirring the entire time (helps make them fluffy), until cooked through to your liking. About 5-10 minutes.
- Step 3: Make the quick pico. In a small bowl, combine the chopped tomatoes, onion, jalapeño, lime juice, salt, and pepper.
- Step 4: Assemble. Take one of your tortillas, and slightly off centered (closer to you) in a log shape, lay down the toppings in the following order using ¼ of the toppings for each burrito: beans - potatoes - pico de gallo - avocado - eggs - cheese.
- Step 4: Wrap. To wrap the burritos, first fold in the sides of the tortilla over the filling, then take the side closest to you and fold over the filling, tucking the filling in. Then roll over itself away from you as tightly as you can without ripping the tortilla. Place fold-side down. Repeat 3 more times.
- Step 5: Crisp. Into the same non-stick skillet you used before heated to medium, place the burritos fold-side down. Cook on the first side for about 3-5 minutes until golden brown, then flip and cook on the other side for another 3-5 minutes until golden brown. The cheese will help seal them shut.
- Serve with hot sauce/sour cream/salsa.
HOW TO FREEZE BREAKFAST BURRITOS:
To freeze your breakfast burritos, cook them according to direction (above) then wrap each tightly in aluminum foil, covering the whole thing, and place in a freezer safe bag.
HOW TO REHEAT FROZEN BREAKFAST BURRITOS:
Reheating frozen breakfast burritos is much easier than it may seem, and makes for a really quick and easy breakfast whenever you need one.
Simply take your frozen burrito and either:
- Unwrap it and place it on a microwave safe plate, and reheat for about 2 minutes until warmed through (time will vary based on the power of your microwave).
- Preheat your oven to 350℉ and warm the burrito for 12-15 minutes.
MORE DELICIOUS EGG BREAKFAST RECIPES:
- Homemade Quiche
- Green Goddess Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Sandwich
- Ultimate Breakfast Tacos
- Potato, Bacon & Eggs Breakfast Skillet