With Valentine's day right around the corner, I wanted to make something chocolatey and delicious for you all to share with your loved one(s). Whether you're spending the holiday with a significant other or friends/family, this double chocolate banana bread is the perfect indulgent treat.
This recipe is ideal in my eyes because it takes an everyday classic (banana bread) and elevates it ever so slightly, making it perfect for the holiday. Plus, you more than likely already have chocolate chips and cocoa powder in your pantry. And if you're like me, you also have quickly ripening bananas on your counter.
But honestly, while Valentine's day is synonymous with chocolate, it doesn't necessarily need to be Valentine's day to fill your kitchen with the yummy chocolatey smells of this double chocolate banana bread. Regardless of when you're whipping this up, I promise you'll love it.
If you're looking to keep it simple instead, my chocolate chip walnut banana bread is a great route.
Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed overripe bananas (about 2-3 large bananas)
- ¼ cup unsalted butter melted and slightly cooled
- ¼ cup vegetable or canola oil
- ¾ cup loosely packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg room temp
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips ¾ cup for the batter, ¼ cup to sprinkle on top before baking
- Preheat your oven to 350℉.
- In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients - flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients - mashed bananas, melted butter, vegetable oil, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla.
- Gently pour the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Grease a loaf pan with non-stick spray or butter, and pour the batter in. Top with the remaining ¼ cup of chocolate chips and bake for 60-65 minutes.