Peach Olive Oil Cake is the perfect summer send off dessert. Delicious ripe peaches that are bursting with flavor layered beautifully on top of a moist, fluffy, lemony olive oil cake. Doesn't get better!
- Fresh peaches: summer peaches are simply the best and so deliciously sweet
- Extra virgin olive oil: you'll want to use a good extra virgin olive oil for this recipe with robust flavor otherwise it will be too muted and you won't taste the flavor once baked (which is fine though if that's your preference, it still gives a great texture)
- Eggs: large eggs are needed here - at room temp (out of the fridge for at least 30 mins before making the recipe)
- Granulated sugar: we'll put some inside of the cake in the batter but then also sprinkle on top and it gives the top of the cake such yummy crisp texture
- Lemon zest: we'll only want to use the zest here just to get a light lemony essence. When you massage the zest with the sugar it helps give the sugar a lemony flavor to bring the flavor forward
- Buttermilk: I love the slight tang of the buttermilk with the rich olive oil - also helps with great texture!
- Vanilla extract: I rarely bake without vanilla extract, a must
- AP flour: my go-to baking flour
- Baking powder & baking soda: gives the cake its rise
- Salt: to balance it all out!
HOW TO KNOW WHEN PEACHES ARE RIPE:
When peaches are perfectly ripe there is really just nothing like them. So tender and sweet.
The best peaches are heavy when you pick them up, and when you squeeze gently they should be firm with a slight give. If they are too squishy they're overripe, and if they are completely firm they are not yet ready to be eaten!
EQUIPMENT YOU'LL NEED:
- 2x mixing bowls
- Dry + liquid measuring cups
- 1x whisk (or stand mixer)
- 1x round 9" round springform cake pan
- Pairing knife
- Cutting board
- Tooth pick / cake tester
HOW TO MAKE THIS PEACH OLIVE OIL CAKE:
Start by preheating your oven to 350℉ and prepping your peaches (slice them into pieces no larger than ½" each) as well as the springform cake pan.
- To prep the peaches - take your pairing knife around the circumference of the peach (starting where the stem is and following the natural middle) and twist the two sides to open. Pop the pit out. Then holding the peach flesh side up, slice downward in an angle to ½" thickness.
- To prep the pan - layer a piece of parchment paper on the bottom larger than the circumference of the pan, and then seal and lock closed. You can cut the paper to the size of the base, but I find this easier. Then spray the whole interior with nonstick spray (including over the parchment).
In one of the mixing bowls, combine the sugar and lemon zest. Massage together with your fingers for a minute until fragrant. Add the eggs and whisk together. Once combined, add the extra virgin olive oil, buttermilk, and vanilla extract.
In the second mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and whisk to combine.
Pour the batter into the prepped springform pan. Place the peaches in an even layer around the top. Sprinkle evenly with the remaining 1 tbsp sugar.
Bake for 50-60 minutes until a tooth pick or cake tester comes out clean or only with a few little crumbs. Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes in the pan. Serve with a sprinkling of powdered sugar and/or whipped cream!
OTHER SUMMERY BAKED TREATS:
- Plum and orange tarts
- Raspberry almond crumb cake
- Mini strawberry & blueberry galettes
- Strawberry & raspberry cardamom biscuit cobbler