These watermelon and whipped feta crostini are a delicious take on the classic summer salad combination. Refreshing watermelon, earthy basil, and plenty of creamy whipped feta, all on top of toasty, crunchy bread – a perfect summer snack or starter!
There are very few ingredients in this recipe which makes it a great throw together summer recipe.
- Fresh watermelon: Summer watermelon is my absolute favorite snack. In my opinion there's nothing quite as refreshing. See below for how I easily cut it!
- Feta cheese: Feta cheese has a salty flavor that pairs great with watermelon.
- Whole milk Greek yogurt: This ingredient is crucial in the whipped feta. Without it, the feta wouldn't get creamy!
- Fresh basil: Fresh basil really shines in this recipe – this is the ingredient that brings it all together.
- Baguette: I prefer a fresh baguette just based on size, but ciabatta or a rustic loaf would be great alternatives.
EQUIPMENT YOU'LL NEED:
- Cutting board
- Chef's knife
- Bread knife
- Baking sheet
- Food processor
HOW TO CUT A WATERMELON:
Let me just start by saying there are MANY ways to cut a watermelon, this is just the method I personally have found easiest and most effective.
Start by cutting the watermelon in half with a chef's knife. Then cut the two ends off about an inch in. Place the watermelon larger cut side down. Cut around the watermelon slicing off the rind and as much of the white as you can. Then go back and slice off any white that is remaining.
Then make 1 inch slices vertically. Separate the slices and cut vertically and horizontally to achieve cubes. Repeat for the other half!
HOW TO MAKE THESE WATERMELON AND WHIPPED FETA CROSTINI
Start by cutting your baguette into slices ½"-1" thick. Lay them on a baking sheet in one layer and drizzle with olive oil. Put under the broiler for 4-5 minutes until lightly browned and toasted. Set aside.
Cut up the watermelon into 1" cubes and set aside. Also chop up the basil (rough chop or chiffonade) and set aside as well.
In a food processor, pulse the feta cheese until you get small crumbles (about 2 minutes). Then add in the Greek yogurt and pulse until a smooth consistency (about 4 minutes).
To assemble, grab a toasty baguette slice, spread about 2 tsp whipped feta on, top with about 4-5 cubes watermelon, and finish with the basil sprinkled on top.
OTHER GREAT SUMMER RECIPES:
- Peach olive oil cake
- Mexican street corn & black bean tacos
- Super easy creamy corn & tomato pasta
- Fish tacos with jalapeño mango salsa